What is menopause?
Menopause is stop of menses for 12 months after your final menstrual period.
Average age is 51 years, after 55 years old it is considered late menopause and between 40-45 years old it is considered early menopause. Causes of early menopause:
- Cigarette smoking
- Short menstrual cycle
- Type I Diabetes
- Family history
- Women may come with hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, insomnia, depression, vaginal dryness and decreased libido.
- These symptoms usually disappear within 1-2 years.
- Women with FSH more than 40 IU/L is considered mnemonic.
On examination: Decrease in breast size and vaginal urethral and cervical atrophy.
- The decrease in Estrogen in menopause women leads to an increase of LDL and decrease of HDL which rises the risk of coronary artery disease.
- With menopause bone resorption accelerates that can lead to osteopenia and osteoporosis. In fact a woman may lose 20% of her bone density in the first 5 – 7 years after vertebral fractures, pain and loss of height.
Can We Treat Menopause?
Actually, menopause itself needs no treatment, but treatment may be required to control its signs and symptoms.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy: Doctor may recommend hormonal replacement to reduce hot flashes, bone loss and to prevent cardiovascular problems.
- Vagina Estrogen: Small doses of oestrogen in the form of cream, pills or rings can manage vaginal dryness, urinary symptoms and discomfort during intercourse.
- Anti-depressants: Can manage hot flashes and help improve your mood.
How to make healthy lifestyle?
- Drink cool water and stay in a cool room
- Avoid hot beverages, alcohol, caffeine and spicy food.
- Use water-based vaginal lubricants to help your vaginal dryness and discomfort.
- Reduce stress, sleep well, eat healthy, stay active and don’t smoke.
- Exercise regularly, certain exercise called Kegel exercises helps strengthen your pelvic floor muscles.
Dubai Obstetrics and Gynecology clinic at DRHC now provides top Gynecologist in Dubai to enhance the service on Cosmetic Gynecology,Surgical Gynecology, Contraception, Menopause,Labiaplasty and so on.