PCOS - Dubai Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinic
- The hormonal disorder condition of polycystic ovaries, also known as PCOS, affects countless women of reproductive age, across the globe each year.
- Some of the most common symptoms of PCOS include irregular periods, problems related to excessive androgen production including increase in facial and body hair, and male pattern baldness.
- In some females, the ovaries become enlarged and fail to function properly. The exact causes of PCOS are not known, although factors such as excess insulin, low grade inflammation, excess of androgen and even heredity can increase the risk of these ailments.
- Treatment of PCOS at the earliest is essential for avoiding other severe health issue including cancer, scarring due to acne, difficulty with weight management and higher risk of diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME
What is polycystic ovary syndrome?
- Polycystic ovary syndrome is one of the most common hormonal disorders in women.
Do I have PCOS?
If you have 2 or 3 of these signs means you have PCOS;
- Irregular prolonged menstrual cycles, heavy periods anovulation or infertility
- Excessive hair (Face, chin), acne, thining and hair loss, darkening of skin along neck creases and the groin and underneath the breast or laboratory test reporting increase in Androgens
- Ultrasound showing more than 12 follicles, or enlargement of the ovaries increased ovarian volume
Is there any relationship between PCOS and obesity?
- Women with PCOS who are hyperandrogenic and obese develop insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia.
What is the cause of PCOS?
- There is no specific cause but it is obvious that high androgen in the body prevents ovulation and cause irregular menstrual periods which lead to:
- Development of cysts in the ovaries
Can women with PCOS get pregnant?
- Life style modification by losing weight, low calorie diet, healthy food, and exercise activities (loosing 5-10% of body weight improves treatment).
- Regulate menstrual cycles by using -
- Combined estrogen – progesterone as pills, patches, or rings which help to decrease androgens and regulate the menstrual cycles.
- Progestin only as tables or Mirena IUD which regulates the menstrual periods and protect against endometrial cancer.
- Induction of ovulation using clomiphene, letrozole, gonadotropins and metformin.
- To reduce acne and hair growth -
- Birth control pills: decrease androgen
- Spironolactone: blocks the androgenic effects on the skin
- Laser hair removal
- Surgery: laparoscopic ovarian drilling is a surgical treatment that can trigger ovulation in woman with polycystic ovary syndrome.
Dubai Obstetrics and Gynecology clinic at DRHC now provides top male and female Gynecologist in Dubai to enhance the service on Cosmetic Gynecology,Surgical Gynecology, Contraception, Menopause,Labiaplasty and so on.