Internal Hernia -
Dubai Hernia Surgery Clinic
One of the most common causes of Bowel Obstruction
- As the name suggests, internal hernia is a type of hernia that causes the tissue or fat protrusion to grow within the abdominal cavity itself.
- This type of hernia is extremely rare and in fact is known to affect only 1% of the total number of hernia patients. The condition is mostly caused when an abdominal organ protrudes through a weak spot within the abdominal wall, but remains well within the boundaries of the peritoneal cavity.
Read : 20 Q&A about Endoscopic Hernia Repair
Types of Internal Hernia
The internal hernia is generally classified into two main categories, namely peritoneal fossa and peritoneal defect. These two main categories are further divided into the following types.
- Paraduodenal hernia
- Paracecal hernia
- Sigmoid fossa
- Foramen of Winslow
- Defects of mesentery
- Defects of omentum
- Defects of uterus band
Diagnosing the condition
- What makes internal hernia different from other forms of the ailment is that it is somewhat difficult to diagnose. This is because there is no external bulge to indicate the problem. Therefore most doctors rely on an analysis of the various symptoms that are known to be a common occurrence in such cases for proper diagnosis of the condition.
- These symptoms generally include abdominal pain, bilious vomiting and abdominal distention. The condition is also more difficult to detect in women than men as all the symptoms disappear once the females lie down for examination.
- With the advances in medical technology, the use of colour Doppler Ultrasonography and CT Scan might be recommended for a definitive diagnosis of the condition.
Treating the condition
- Once the condition of internal hernia has been established, its proper and timely treatment is extremely important as otherwise it can rapidly evolve into bowel ischemia. The most common method of treatment is through surgical reduction of the hernia. The procedure needs to be performed immediately in case the hernia is known to result in the strangulation of the intestine or obstruct it.
- In most cases, the surgery is performed through laparoscopy, which means that the surgeon makes small incisions just beneath the naval of the patient. The laparoscopic instruments are then inserted to rectify the obstructed bowel and rectify the defect in the abdominal wall with the help of sutures.
- This is generally a day procedure, which means that the patients do not have to face the complications and pain associated with an open procedure. In addition, the recovery time for the procedure is also reduced considerably while the pace of recovery tends to increase by a significant margin.
- Doctor advices treatment, surgery or laparoscopy.
Click to know more about Hernia Surgery Costs
For more information on Hernia: Incisional Hernia, Umbilical Hernia, Inguinal Hernia, Laparoscopic and Open Surgery
Dubai Hernia surgery clinc is now at DRHC.