Incisional Hernia -
Dubai Hernia Surgery Clinic
- Incisional hernia is a type of hernia that occurs around the site of a previously made incision within the abdominal wall.
- The incision might have been caused by a surgical procedure or even due to an injury in the abdomen area. Since the condition involves the presence of a prior cut, it can affect both men and women.
- The condition is extremely common and as many as 12-15% of abdominal surgeries are known to lead to this condition.
Causes of Incisional Hernia
- As mentioned before, incisional hernia can occur only around the site of a previous abdominal operation. One of the major causes of the condition is the inability of the surgeon to close the layer of the abdominal wall with stitches.
- In some cases, the condition might also be caused due to the closure simply coming apart while the tissues are still healing leading to a gap in the abdominal wall.
- Even though the condition occurs generally within just a few months after the surgery, some patients might develop incisional hernia even years after the incision has been made.
Symptoms of this Hernia
Like most other types of hernias, the appearance of a bulge is the one of the first symptoms for the condition of incisional hernia. In addition, the patients might also experience one or more of the following symptoms.
- Fever, pain and/or swelling
- Infection, redness and/or presence of red streaks
- Appearance of a palpable lump and/or mass on surgical scar
- Visible protrusion poking out of surgical wound
- Foul-smelling drainage
Read : 20 Q&A about Endoscopic Hernia Repair
Treating the condition
- Having learnt about the causes and symptoms of incisional hernia, it not time to gain information about its treatment options. The most common method of rectifying the condition is by surgically pushing back the protruding tissue into the abdomen wall.
- The procedure also involves removal of any scar tissue and placing a surgical mesh on the hernias opening to prevent it from recurring.
- The surgery can be performed either as an open procedure or as a laproscopic one, with the choice depending generally on the exact condition of the hernia and the previous medical history of the patients.
- Doctor advices treatment, surgery or laparoscopy.
Associated complications and recovery
- While there are no known complications associated with incisional hernia treatment procedure, the patients are advised to avoid any activity that might increase abdominal pressure.
- Ignoring this advise might lead to the development of a new hernia at another incision site. In order to ensure complete and proper recovery, it is also important for the patients to strictly adhere to the instruction and guidelines of their surgeon.
For more information on Hernia: Inguinal Hernia, Umbilical Hernia, Internal Hernia, Laparoscopic and Open Surgery
Click to know more about Hernia Surgery Costs
Dubai Hernia surgery clinc is now at DRHC.