Umbilical Hernia Surgery - DRHC Dubai Hernia Surgery Clinic
A generally harmless form of Hernia affecting children
An umbilical hernia is a common disease that occurs when the muscles of the abdominal wall weaken and bulge out. The swelling in the navel area increases when coughing or doing intense muscle exercise, that's why the patient should avoid any activities that increase pressure on the abdomen. Umbilical Hernia can be treated by wearing a truss or applying a bandage to reduce pressure on the hernia. If there is a protrusion, the physician may recommend surgery.
What does it look like?
An Umbilical Hernia looks like a protrusion of abdominal contents, usually peritoneal membrane, abdominal fat, or intestine, through a weakness in the abdominal wall muscles in the navel. This defect usually forms at the site of passage of the umbilical cord through the muscles of the abdominal wall in fetal life.
Read: Latest techniques of Laparoscopic hernia repair
Symptoms of strangulated hernia:
- The first thing to notice will be the swelling in the navel, which increases when standing up or coughing.
- Umbilical discomfort
- An incarcerated inguinal hernia happens when the tissue becomes stuck in the groin and isn’t reducible., meaning that it can’t be pushed back into place.
- Strangulated inguinal hernias are a more serious medical condition. It happens when the intestine tissue in an incarcerated hernia has its blood flow cut off
You have to visit the emergency room immediately when these symptoms appear
- severe pain
- rough, swollen, reddish bulging
- nausea or vomiting
- inability to defecate or pass gases
Read: How to do Laparoscopic Hernia Repair?
There are many causes of Umbilical Hernia, including:
- Age: leading to muscle weakness
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Stressful physical activity
Read: 20 Q&A about Laparoscopic Hernia Repair
An Umbilical Hernia can be diagnosed through:
- Careful clinical examination
- Ultrasound scan on the abdomen to confirm the diagnosis
- Abdomenal CT scan in rare cases
Read: Experience and vision of Laparoscopic Hernia Repair
- Treatment of umbilical hernia is surgical
- Open surgery with minor hernia mesh
- Laparoscopic surgery with mesh for oversize hernia
*Find out more about Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery Cost*
Our Hernia Surgery Clinic at DRHC provides the best Laparoscopic Surgeon in Dubai, with wide experience in Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery, Inguinal Hernia Surgery, Umbilical Hernia surgery, Hiatal Hernia Surgery, Hernia repair with mesh, and much more. DRHC General Surgery Clinic provides the best treatment for other conditions like Ingrown toenails, Cancer Surgery, Abdominal Pain, etc.