Self-Harm Thoughts and Behaviors - DRHC Dubai Psychiatry Clinic

If you're experiencing thoughts of self-harm or engaging in self-harming behaviors, it's crucial to seek help and support. These thoughts and actions can be distressing and may indicate underlying emotional or mental health issues that need attention.

  • Reach out for professional help: Consider talking to a therapist, counselor, or mental health professional. They can help you understand these thoughts and develop coping strategies to manage them.
  • Build a support network: Surround yourself with supportive friends, family, or support groups. Sharing your feelings with others who understand can be incredibly comforting and can help you feel less alone.
  • Develop coping strategies: Work with a professional to develop healthy coping mechanisms for managing distressing emotions. This might include relaxation techniques, mindfulness practices, or engaging in activities you enjoy.
  • Create a safety plan: If you often struggle with self-harm urges, create a plan to keep yourself safe. This might involve removing objects that could be used for self-harm, identifying triggers, and having a list of people to contact for support.
  • Seek emergency help if needed: If you ever feel like you're in immediate danger or are unable to keep yourself safe, don't hesitate to seek emergency help by calling a crisis hotline or going to the nearest emergency room.

You deserve support and care, and there are resources available to help you through this challenging time.

Self Harm thoughts behaviors

Psychosocial treatments for self-injurious thoughts and behaviors

Psychosocial treatments for self-injurious thoughts and behaviors (SITBs) aim to address the underlying issues that contribute to these thoughts and behaviors, while also providing strategies for managing them. Here are some common psychosocial treatments:

  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): CBT is a widely used treatment for SITBs. It focuses on identifying and changing negative thought patterns and beliefs that contribute to self-injury. CBT also helps individuals develop coping strategies to manage distressing emotions without resorting to self-harm.
  • Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT): DBT is a type of CBT that specifically targets emotion dysregulation, which is often a factor in SITBs. It teaches skills in mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness to help individuals manage their emotions and behaviors more effectively.
  • Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT): ACT focuses on accepting difficult thoughts and feelings rather than trying to suppress or control them. It helps individuals clarify their values and commit to making behavioral changes that align with those values.
  • Interpersonal Therapy (IPT): IPT focuses on improving interpersonal relationships and communication skills, which can help reduce feelings of isolation and distress that may contribute to SITBs.
  • Supportive Psychotherapy: This type of therapy provides emotional support and encouragement while helping individuals explore the underlying issues that contribute to their SITBs.
  • Family Therapy: Involving family members in therapy can be beneficial, as family dynamics and relationships can play a significant role in SITBs. Family therapy can help improve communication, address conflicts, and provide support to both the individual and their family members.

It's important for individuals with SITBs to work with a qualified mental health professional to determine the most appropriate treatment approach based on their specific needs and circumstances.

Book An Appoinment


If you are experiencing any signs and symptoms of a Self-Harm thoughts and behaviors, please don't hesitate to contact our best psychiatrist in Dubai at the Dr Rami Hamed Center, Call +97142798200 to Schedule Your Appointment Today. We have the best psychiatry doctor, and our psychiatry clinic is situated in Dubai Healthcare City.


Do you wish to consult with our Psychiatrist?


Do you wish to consult with our Psychiatrist?