Salivary Gland Diseases - Dubai ENT Clinic
- The salivary glands are responsible for producing the saliva which helps in digestion of food and keeping the mouth moist and thus prevents the teeth from decaying.
- There are a number of disorders which can affect the rather small salivary glands. While there are a few diseases which get corrected with time, however, there are few that requires treatment or even a surgery.
Causes & types
- The most common cause is the blocked salivary glands which lead to excessive pain.
- Sialolithiasis is one salivary gland problem which is caused due to the formation of stones made from calcium which blocks the gland and prevents the flow of saliva
- Sialadenitis is caused due to bacterial infection in the salivary glands
- Sjogren is a salivary gland disorder which affects women and is caused due to the targeting of the healthy cells by the white blood cells
- Viruses such as flu virus, mumps, echovirus, cytomegalovirus and coxsackie virus also cause the salivary glands diseases
- Development of cancerous and non-cancerous tumours in the salivary glands
The symptoms for the various types of salivary gland diseases are as follows:
- Painful lumps in the tongue which aggravate when the patient eats something
- A lump forms in the cheek or under the chin. There is a formation of a pus which drains into the mouth of the patient. The pus usually has a foul smell. This disease is accompanied by high fever.
- The cysts grow in the salivary glands, which causes a yellow mucus which drains when burst. It causes great difficulty in eating, swallowing and speaking.
- Viral infections
- It is accompanied by fever, joint pain, headache, muscle pain and swelling on both the sides of the face.
- The symptoms of this disease include dry eyes, mouth and cough, tooth decay, pain in the joint, swelling in the salivary glands and unexplained fatigue.
- You must visit a doctor if following symptoms surfaces:
- A bad taste or pain in the mouth or dry mouth or swelling on the face causing trouble in even opening up the mouth.
Diagnosis & Treatment
- Tests may be conducted based on the medical history to watch out for the signs of blockage which caused the salivary gland disorder.
- A dental X-ray followed by CT Scan or MRI of the affected region may be conducted by ENT specialist.
- The treatment depends upon the type of disease one suffers from. If there is a cancerous formation near the gland, the same will be removed through a surgery.
- The bacterial infections can be treated through an antibiotics course.
Click here for ENT surgical packages
Dubai ENT clinic- If you are in search of ent specialist in dubai, then we can provide experienced and the leading ENT Doctor in dubai for the healthy treatment.