Laparoscopic and Open Surgery -
DRHC Dubai Hernia Surgery Clinic
- Contrary to what most people believe, inguinal hernia repair is not a recent medical development. Rather the history of treatment of hernia dates back to the Egyptian culture and today it is one of the most commonly performed general surgical procedures across the globe. DRHC has best hernia surgeon in Dubai.
- With the phenomenal medical advances over the past several decades, not only has the diagnosis of hernia become a lot easier but the methods of treating it are also lesser complicated.
Types of Procedures for Hernia Surgery
- There are two main types of surgical procedures adapted for the rectification of inguinal hernia. These include the laparoscopic technique and the open surgery technique.
- Over the years a serious debate has ensued within the medical fraternity about which technique is the best not only in terms of efficiency but also for minimizing the chances of recurrence of hernia.
- However, rather than focusing on the superiority of one procedure over another it is important to have an individualistic approach to each surgery and the difference between both and the advantages they offer.
Differences between Laparoscopic and Open Surgery techniques for Hernia
Both the laparoscopic technique and open surgery technique for hernia repair are known to offer excellent results. However, the two techniques differ in certain subtle aspects which are discussed as follows along with their individual advantages.
- Open Surgery Technique: This technique is the more preferred option for hernia repair and is carried out under local anaesthesia with sedation. The surgery is done with the help of standard surgical equipments and by cutting open the muscles just above the weakness in the abdominal wall. The surgery lasts for around 30-45 minutes and patients can resume their normal activities within 1-3 weeks.
- The biggest advantage of opting for this technique is that it is extremely cost-effective, especially for patients who intend to pay in cash. The procedure proves effective in repairing even the largest and most complex hernias. Moreover, the hernia recurrence rate is only 1-2%.
- Laparoscopic Technique: Despite being an advanced technique, this method is less popular mainly because the doctors need to have undergone advanced training for performing it. It requires the administration of complete general anaesthesia and the hernia is repaired from inside with the help of advanced laparoscopic instruments. The total time required for the surgery is about 50-60 minutes.
- Laparoscopic technique is generally preferred by patients due to its lower recovery time, which is about 1-2 weeks. However, the technique is somewhat expensive and not effective for repairing complex and long standing hernias. The recurrence rate using this technique is the same as with open surgery.
Click to know more about Hernia Surgery Costs
For more information on Hernia: Incisional Hernia, Umbilical Hernia, Internal Hernia, Inguinal Hernia
Dubai Hernia surgery clinic is now at DRHC.