Graft Materials for Eardrum Repair - Dubai ENT Clinic
Myringoplasty (Eardrum repair); Tympanoplasty; Ossiculoplasty;
- The least invasive and perhaps simplest is the paper onlay technique, using a thin cigarette paper or similar placed onto the tympanic membrane. It is an outpatient procedure. This has been used with reasonable success to assist closure of small perforations.
- Of the autologous materials, temporals fascia is the most frequently utilized for all perforations given its availability. Success rates of 77–99% in adults and 35–94% in children are quoted.
- Perichondrium from either the tragus or concha provides an alternative material with the former being easily accessed and its long-term reliability.
- Cartilage, either from the tragus or concha is gaining popularity as a more reliable material. Adhesive otitis media and revision surgery for recurrent perforations with quoted closure rates of up to 100%.
- Subcutaneous tissue,
- Skin graft
- Fat, the latter usually being harvested from the lobule or post auricular region.
- Alloderm, processed from human allograft skin and rendered immunologically inert can provide an alternative when temporalis fascia is not available,
- Several xenogenous materials have been investigated. Equine and bovine pericardium ,Basic fibroblast growth factor (FGF) has been studied since exogenous bovine FGF stimulates the proliferation of fibroblasts and vascular cells induces endothelial cell migration. Traumatic perforations are applied either via a Gelfoam patch over the perforation
Click here for other ENT surgical packages
Dubai ENT clinic - If you are in search of ENT specialist in dubai, then we can provide experienced and the leading ENT doctorin dubai for the healthy treatment.