Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty - Dubai ENT Clinic
- Countless people across the globe suffer from the problem of obstructive sleep apnea, a condition wherein their breathing stops during sleep.
- Blocked airways are the amongst the main causes of this problem and it can further lead to issues like loud snoring or even inability to get proper and enough sleep.
- Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, which is also known as UPPP, is one of the most common methods for treating obstructive sleep apnea.
How the surgery helps?
- The primary objective of the UPPP procedure is to make the airway wider by removing the excess tissue in the throat. The tissues that may be removed include the following:
- Whole or part of the soft finger-shaped tissue hanging down from the back of the roof of the mouth into the throat (uvula).
- Some part of the roof of the mouth (soft palate).
- Any excessive throat tissue, tonsils, and adenoids.
Who might require UPPP?
The doctors might suggest UPPP to patients depicting any or all of the following symptoms:
- Presence of excessive tissue inside the nose, mouth, or throat that blocks the airway.
- Patients suffering from sleep deprivation due to difficulty in breathing when they fall asleep.
- Patients who might want to get rid of the problem of excessive snoring as it hampers the sleep of people around them.
- Patients who do not get any relief after using CPAP or do not want to or cannot use CPAP at all.
In addition, the patients who do not want to undergo surgery of the windpipe for treatment of sleep apnea, might also be advised UPPP.
Complications and risks involved
Once a diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea has been established the patients might opt for the UPP procedure. Even though this is a relatively new technique of treatment, which is known to offer maximum benefits, the patients should choose it only after a careful consideration of the following complications and risks.
- Patients might face problems in swallowing after the procedure.
- The procedure might lend a nasal quality to the voice of some patients.
- Some patients might experience swelling, pain, bleeding and infection around the wound.
- In extremely rare cases, the procedure might result in the airways in the nose and throat becoming narrower rather than wider enhancing the discomfort of patients.
- There is also a minimal risk of the patients suffering accidental damage to tissues and blood vessels in the surrounding areas.
- A few patients might also experience sleeplessness and bouts of apnea induced by medication meant to provide pain relief.
Dubai ENT clinic- If you are in search of ent specialist in dubai, then we can provide experienced and the leading ENT Doctor in dubai for the healthy treatment.