Foreign Body Aspiration - Dubai ENT Clinic
A life threatening emergency common in children
- Even though foreign body aspiration is quite common among children, it can turn into a life-threatening emergency if not detected and treated in time.
- The condition generally results when a solid or semi-solid object gets lodged in the lyranx or trachea of the patient resulting in acute chocking and even respiratory failure.
- In case of early detection, the patients might be subjected to emergency treatment methodologies including back blows and abdominal thrusts to at least dislodge the object enough to prevent complete obstruction of the airway, which might lead to rapid death through asphyxia.
Having the right approach
- In most cases, foreign body aspiration is not detected for long unless the object aspirated is big enough to cause at least partial chocking.
- In many patients the aspirated object might completely escape detection for years together, unless it leads to other health complications.
- However, in case the patients show any signs of chocking sensation or intermittent dry cough, the right approach would be to get a thorough analysis of the reasons for the same from an expert medical professional.
- Other indications of aspiration might include inspiratory and expiratory wheezing, hemoptysis, and dyspnea.
- Overlooking these indications might lead to a delay in the detection of the condition and this might in turn result in chronic complications.
Treating the condition
- The only correct method for treatment of foreign body aspiration is to ensure the timely extraction of the aspirated object.
- This is recommended not only in emergency situations only but also in non-emergency situations. In the most severe cases, extraction might be carried out through a surgical process, and it might be essential to prevent the development of chronic health issues.
- However, in some cases the extraction might not be possible due to various reasons. But even in such instances, the patients clinical advice and guidance is provided to the patients to ensure better management of the problem and its consequences.
- Extraction of the aspirated object is not as simple as it may seem. The doctors performing the procedure need to consider a variety of factors such as the condition of the foreign body, its anatomic location, shape composition, position and even its extent of entrapment to decide the most effective way of removing it.
- In many cases, the doctors might have to perform a bronchoscopy to extract the object that cannot be removed with through the use of non-surgical method.
- However, these extraction methods can prove effective only if the object is lodged in such a manner as to make it possible for the patients to breathe somewhat normally.
Click here for ENT surgical packages
Dubai ENT clinic- If you are in search of ent specialist in dubai, then we can provide experienced and the leading ENT Doctor in dubai for the healthy treatment. ENT Clinic in DRHC Dubai Provides treatment for Hearing Loss, Vertigo, Stapedectomy , Otolaryngology Otosclerosis , Vertigo, Salivary Gland Disease, Tympanic Membrane Perforation , Anosmia, Cleft Lip and Palate