WHEN DO I NEED TO CONSULT AN AUDIOLOGIST?
The hearing should be monitored if you have a history of:
- Ongoing exposure to high levels of noises.
- Infections of the ear or diseases of the inner ear.
- Ototoxic (hearing damaging) medications.
- Dizziness or Vertigo.
- Genetic hearing impairment.
- A Sound in the ear. (Tinnitus)
- Ear pain.
- Ruptured eardrum.
- Head injury.
You may need to take an appointment with an audiologist if you:
- Have difficulty hearing over the telephone. (Hearing Loss)
- Often ask people to repeat.
- Following the conversation when two or more people speak at once or in a noisy environment becomes difficult.
- Unable to pinpoint to the source of the sound.
- Have problems hearing or understanding the speech of children or women.
- Respond inappropriately or misunderstand other.
- Believe most people mumble.
- Not aware of the sounds of telephone or doorbell.
- Avoid social situations because of problems with hearing and understanding speech.