Dubai Hernia Surgery Clinic
A generally harmless form of Hernia affecting children
- Umbilical hernia is a common type of hernia that is known to mostly affect infants, although many times, the adults might also suffer from this problem.
- Even in children, this type hernia is most common in babies, especially those born prematurely or ones who are excessively overweight. In case of adults, females are more likely to suffer from this problem as compared to males. This type of hernia is generally harmless and mostly self heals by the time the baby reaches the age of 1 or 2 years.
- However, in case the hernia has not treated naturally even by the time the baby becomes 4 years old, medical intervention is required.
Causes of Umbilical Hernia
- The umbilical cord, which connects the baby with the mother inside the womb, passes through a small opening in the babies’ stomach. In most cases, the hole closes naturally on its own after the birth of the child. However, in case the opening does not close properly after the child is born, it causes umbilical hernia. In adults, the condition results due to excessive pressure being exerted on a weak section of the stomach muscles.
Symptoms of the Condition
In most cases umbilical hernia is not a painful or discomforting, which makes identifying its symptoms somewhat difficult. In fact, a proper physical examination is all doctors need to ensure the presence of umbilical hernia. However, in some cases, the patients might also experience the following symptoms:
- Appearance of a soft bulge or swelling near the umbilicus or the navel
- A sensation of slight pain or discomfort amongst adults
- Vomiting in both adults and children
- Discoloration of the bulge
- Inability to push back the bulge without considerable pain
Treatment options for Umbilical Hernia
- The treatment option for this specific type of hernia generally depends on the age of the patients. As mentioned before, the condition mostly gets rectified on its own by the age of 1 or 2 years. However, the doctors might recommend a surgery if the hernia grows after this age or if it is present within the hernial sac or even if it is trapped.
- In case of adults suffering from the condition, surgical treatment is often the only recommended solution. It not only helps in preventing any further complications in adults, but also prevents them from suffering the pain and discomfort that is associated with the hernia as it grows.
- However, the exact method of treatment is decided only by the doctor based on the exact medical condition and previous medical history of the patients.
- Doctor advices treatment, surgery or laparoscopy.
Click to know more about Hernia Surgery Costs
For more information on Hernia: Inguinal Hernia, Incisional Hernia, Internal Hernia, Laparoscopic and Open Surgery
Dubai Hernia surgery clinic is now at DRHC.