Dubai Hematology Clinic
- Haemochromatosis is caused by increased iron levels in the body.
- High iron levels in the body can damage the liver, joints, pancreas and heart.
- Haemochromatosis is most common in the northern part of Europe.
Symptoms of haemochromatosis
- Fatigue (feeling tired all the time)
- Irregular periods or absent periods in women
When to see a haematologist
- If you have any of the above symptoms
- If you have a close relative with haemochromatosis, even if you don’t have symptoms yourself, it is important to rule out haemochromatosis at early stages.
Treatment for haemochromatosis
The main aim of treatment is to reduce the amount of iron in the body.
There are two main treatments.
- Phlebotomy – based on the ferritin level (iron stores in your body), we will remove some of your blood on a regular basis to bring your iron levels to normal.
- Chelation therapy – this will be used only when we can’t remove blood from your body (ie. difficulty getting venous access).
Patients with haemochromatosis are advised to avoid the following:
- breakfast cereals with added iron
- Vitamin C or iron supplements
- excess alcohol intake
Causes of haemochromatosis
- Haemochromatosis is caused by an abnormal gene which results in increased iron absorption.
- Only homozygous patients (those who inherit a faulty gene from each parent) are at risk of developing haemochromatosis.
- If you have one gene affected then you will not get haemochromatosis, but you will be a carrier, and you may pass this faulty gene to your children.
- Only small number of homozygous patients (those who have two genes affected) will develop haemochromatosis.
Complications of haemochromatosis
Early diagnosis and treatment of the condition will prevent serious consequences, and will not affect life expectancy for affected individual.
Late diagnosis can lead to potentially serious complications, such as:
- Liver disease– including liver cirrhosis or liver cancer.
- Diabetes– which causes high sugar levels in the body.
- Arthritis- characterized by painful and swollen joints.
- Heart failure- Due to excess iron deposition in the heart. The heart becomes unable to pump blood to other organs.
Dubai Hematology Clinic at Dr Rami Hamed Center now provides treatment for Hematology, Leukemia, Thrombophilia, Chemotherapy, Lymphoma, Anemia and so on by an expert Hematologist .