Dubai Hematology Clinic
Chemotherapy is a medication used to kill cancer cells.
- Chemotherapy medications stop cancer cells reproducing, which prevents them from growing and spreading in the body.
When do we use chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy is used mainly to:
- Cure the cancer (curative chemotherapy)
- Relieve symptoms if a cure isn't possible (palliative chemotherapy)
Types of chemotherapy
Chemotherapy can be given in two ways:
- Intravenous chemotherapy: The chemotherapy medicine will be given through a tube into your vein.
- Oral chemotherapy: The chemotherapy tablets will be taken with regular checkups in hospital.
You may have a combination of oral and intravenous chemotherapy. Or you may be treated with one type of chemotherapy only.
Side effects of chemotherapy
Unfortunately the currently available chemotherapy drugs will not kill the cancer cells only, but can damage/affect other cells in the body like blood cells, skin cells …etc. which can cause any of the following side effects
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Vomiting and feeling sick
- Losing hair
- Increased susceptibility to infections
- Mouth sores
- Dry skin
- GI problems: diarrhea and vomiting
We can usually treat or prevent most of these side effects, and generally all these side effects will pass after treatment stops.
Dubai Hematology Clinic at Dr Rami Hamed Center now provides treatment for Hematology, Leukemia, Thrombophilia, Chemotherapy, Lymphoma, Anemia and so on by an expert Hematologist .