Dubai Hematology Clinic
Haematology – all about blood
- Haematology is also spelled as ‘hematology’. It is a branch of medicine which is concerned with the study of diagnosis, cause, prevention and treatment of the diseases linked to blood.
- It involves treatment of the diseases which impact the blood production and the production of the components of the blood like hemoglobin, blood cells, blood protein, platelets, bone marrow, spleen, blood vessels, and mechanism of coagulation.
- These diseases may include blood clots, hemophilia, other hematologic disorders and the blood cancers like multiple myeloma, leukemia and lymphoma. The lab work which goes into the study of the blood is constantly performed by medical lab scientist or a medical technologist.
Nature of work
- The hematologist undertake the care of the inpatients and the outpatients, give a consultancy and advisory service to all the general practitioners and hospital specialists and manage the diagnostic labs.
- They give clinical interpretation of the lab data and morphology of blood and bone marrow specimens. This comprehensive approach to the clinical care is a memorable part of the specialty.
- Clinical hematology is an exciting, intensive, rewarding but a demanding specialty which encompasses both lab and clinical practice. Because of this double role, hematologists take active part in all the stages of the management of the patient, from starting clinic visit to lab diagnosis/assessment and finally to the treatment.
- The hematologists work closely with the bio-medical scientists who usually perform the routine lab work. They also work closely with an array of other specialists in large multi-disciplinary teams.
- Teaching the trainees and the medical students is general part of the work and a lot of hematologists also undertake the research.
- They should be able to discuss the complicated test results with doctors and scientists and explain the complex diseases and the treatments to the patients and the relatives of the patients.
- Hematologists also require a wide understanding of the medicine because they treat the patients who may have complex medical issues.
- There have been great advancements in the understanding of the blood proteins and management of a lot of conditions has been changed in the past 20 years.
- Sophisticated and exciting new drugs have been made for treating the earlier fatal conditions like lymphoma and leukemia. The preparation of the blood products has enhanced the transfusion safety and treatment of the clotting disorders from anticoagulation.
- It is a medical condition in which the RBC count or the hemoglobin is less than the normal. In men, anemia is generally defined as the hemoglobin level < 13.5 g/100 ml and in women, less than 12 g/100 ml.
- It is caused by either a decrease in the RBC production or hemoglobin, or increase in the loss/ destruction of the RBCs. Some anemic patients have no symptoms. The ones that do have the symptoms may be:
- Feeling tired
- Becoming easily fatigued
- Appearing pale
- Having a feeling of the heart racing
- Feeling short of breath
- Having worsening heart problems.
About Hematology blood test
- All the blood cells are made in bone marrow which is the center of large bones. Some diseases and medications may damage the bone marrow which as a result, reduces the number of various kinds of white and Red blood cells.
- The hematology blood test gives essential hematology results about the number, type and appearance of the cells in blood, especially the RBCs, WBCs and clotting cells.
Dubai Hematology Clinic at Dr Rami Hamed Center now provides treatment for Hematology, Leukemia, Thrombophilia, Chemotherapy, Lymphoma, Anemia and so on by an expert Hematologist .