Breast Unit at Dr. Rami Hamed Center
Breast screening – The First Step in the direction of timely diagnosis and treatment of Breast cancer
- The number of females suffering from breast cancer is increasing every year and medical researchers are looking for new ways to detect the problem in its earliest stages.
- In this respect, breast screening has emerged as one of the most effective ways to learn about the presence of cancer when the tumour is too small to see or feel. With the disease becoming quite common regular breast screening can help save more than just the life of the females.
Types Of Breast Screening
- Contrary to the popular belief, self-examination is the not the only method that females can use for breast screening. Rather, any of the following screening methods can be used for early detection and treatment of breast cancer.
- Self–Examination: This is the most popular yet least effective method of screening, wherein the females check their breasts every once in a while. This helps them to know about any unusual changes in their mammary glands which can then be further examined to verify if they are related to cancer or not.
- Clinical Examination: This screening method involves getting the breasts thoroughly examined by a doctor in the physical terms. The results of clinical screening might not be definitive and the patients might be asked to get further tests done to get conclusive results.
- Mammography: This is the most reliable and beneficial method of breast screening and is highly recommended for women above the age of 50 years. In fact, mammography screening is known to reduce the mortality rate among women due to breast cancer by a significant margin, which is why it is the most popular method of screening.
Breast Screening and Cancer Diagnosis
- It has been established that with regular screening, women can eliminate the dangerous consequences of late detection of cancer quite significantly.
- The process helps to pave way for diagnosing any anomalies in behaviour or tissue cells which can become malignant at a later stage.
- It also makes it possible for the medical care practitioners to diagnose any other reasons that might responsible for the anomalies and which might not even be related to cancer.
Treatment of Breast Cancer
- For patients who are diagnosed with breast cancer still in its initial stages, complete cure is possible with proper treatment methods.
- However, most oncologists would not rely only the results of screening to start the treatment. Rather they would ask for more elaborate tests, to know the exact extent and type of the cancer so that they can administer the most effective treatment to cure the same. reast treatment